Three words… Vaughn Gittin Jr.! The man behind the Monster Energy/Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR is back with a vengeance after winning the second round of this year’s Formula Drift at Road Atlanta. It wasn’t an easy win either after qualifying third during very wet conditions.
JR first had to beat competing Mustang driver Justin Pawlak in the Sweet 16 before Kenny Moen and his S14, then Robbie Nishida and finally Scion’s Fredrick Aasbo in the last round. While JR is the most winning driver in Formula D history, it’s been four years since he won the championship. He’s now that much closer sitting second place overall after two rounds.
We’ll just have to wait and see how he does in the next five with Miami’s event only a couple weeks away! “Tonight my team and I were truly one. We communicated and worked super hard,” concluded JR. “These were some of the most hard fought battles that I remember ever having and it says a lot about our sport, where we are going and what we are doing. And I’m just super proud to be standing on the top step.”
Round 2: Road to the Championship Event Results
1. Gittin Jr., Vaughn Monster/Nitto Tire Ford Mustang RTR
2. Aasbo, Fredric Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC
3. Forsberg, Chris Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z
2014 Formula D Standings After Two Rounds
1. Forsberg, Chris | Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z | 173.00 Points
2. Gittin Jr., Vaughn | Monster/Nitto Ford Mustang RTR | 145.50 Points
3. Aasbo, Fredric | Hankook Tire Scion Racing tC | 137.00 Points
Photos below by Mark Lenardon