For the 2014 FR Shootout presented by Continental Tire, we had 13 front engine, rear drive entries boasting five makes and six models taking on Streets of Willow Springs' 1.6-mile, 15-turn circuit, everything from Honda S2000 to BMW 318is and M3 (of the E36 and E46 varieties) to Nissan 370Z to Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ. Six came with forced induction, all superchargers, and title sponsor Continental set up all the street prepped vehicles with fresh rubber, bringing its ExtremeContact DW tires for all to thrash upon.
Conditions were fast and dry on October 2nd, and it quickly became clear the cars to catch were the S2000. Robert Walker's supercharged Evasive Motorsports machine, Graham Downey's N/A BlackTrax Performance roadster and Jason Kim's blown privateer entry finished at the head of the pack, with David Karner's supercharged FR-S just missing the podium by less than 0.2 seconds. In fifth overall, Amir Bantatou had the fastest Bimmer, his 1997 M3 lapping in 1:27.994, while Martin Choi in sixth had the best lap in a Z34, orbiting in 1:28.217.
Walker, Kim and Karner used boost the best out of the half dozen forced induction entries. Meanwhile, Downey was untouchably fast as the leader of the N/A pack, with the BMW of Bantatou and Jeff Ringer rounding out the top three from the non-power adder set.
Breeze through the gallery for highlights from the 2014 FR Shootout presented by Continental Tire.
2014 FR Shootout Best Lap Times
- Robert Walker, 2005 Honda S2000, 1:23.991*
- Graham Downey, 2005 Honda S2000, 1:24.736
- Jason Kim, 2007 Honda S2000, 1:26.837*
- David Karner, 2014 Scion FR-S, 1:27.012*
- Amir Bantatou, 1997 BMW M3, 1:27.994
- Martin Choi, 2012 Nissan 370Z, 1:28.217*
- Jeff Ringer, 1991 BMW 318is, 1:28.261
- Tony Jackson, 2002 BMW E46 M3, 1:28.333
- Mike Kang, 2014 Subaru BRZ, 1:28.650*
- Sky Chan, 2002 Honda S2000, 1:29.698
- Kevin Lau, 2010 Nissan 370Z 1:30.836
- Meng Tea, 2013 Scion FR-S, 1:35.116*
- Henry Vasquez, 2010 Nissan 370Z, 1:50.503