There’s a bit of pride that wells up in us when we see a car chosen to be featured on our site or in the mag that’s more than just a looker – that can bust out with as much guts as style. Like Angel Torres’ 1993 Honda Civic CX hatchback, which just competed in the seventh edition of the Continental Tire Super Street FF Battle, and won, boasting a best lap around the infield road course at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif., of 1:16.029.
The supercharged, K-swapped machine didn’t simply walk away with the contest, though; the top five cars were within a couple seconds of the pace, with Jason Kim’s 2001 Integra Type R 0.6 seconds behind Torres at 1:16.654 and Raymond Lee’s ITR another half second behind Kim at 1:17.121. You have to go all the way down to ninth place before the gaps start becoming significant.
We’ll have a more complete report from the event shortly, all the highs and lows, but in the meantime enjoy our quick photo gallery from the event and peruse the provisional results. Hat tip to all the competitors for making FF Battle 7 another memorable one!
1. 1:16.029 – Nemo’s Garage 1993 Honda Civic, Angel Torres
2. 1:16.654 – 2001 Acura Integra Type R, Jason Kim
3. 1:17.121 – 2001 Acura Integra Type R, Raymond Lee
4. 1:17.731 – 1993 Honda Civic, Yuta Akaishi
5. 1:17.927 – 1994 Acura Integra, Joel Etrata
6. 1:18.543 – RPM Garage 1988 Honda CR-X, Steve Lam
7. 1:19.142 – Marvelous Tune 2002 Acura RSX, Amir Bentatou
8. 1:19.471 – Street Lightz 2008 Honda Civic Type R, Robert Choo
9. 1:21.593 – Sportcar Motion 1992 Honda Civic, Jason Lee
10. 1:22.516 – 2008 Honda Civic Si, Chris Billedo
11. 1:22.611 - 1990 Honda Civic, Daniel Kirby
12. 1:26.332 – Hi-Tech Computers 2001 Honda Prelude, Edwin Le
13. 1:28.134 – Hasport Performance 1993 Acura Integra, Brian Gillespie, Jr.