Before the Daytona Prototypes and GT cars of the Rolex 24 took to the grid at Daytona International Speedway for the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship 2020 season opener, the Honda Civic Type R TCR made its race debut on the first day of the three-day racing weekend in the Michelin Pilot Cup Challenge.
Honda is supporting a total of three different Civic Type R TCR teams for the 2020 season: LA Honda World, ATL Speedwerks, and HART (Ohio Honda Associates Team). While attending the IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge, it was packed with two different classes and 51 total entries, and the teams had a lot going on over the weekend.
Behind the Veloster N and RS3 LMS teams, the FK8 squads battled for pace, never quite closing the gap. The No. 73 LA Honda World Racing entry of Mike LaMarra and Mathew Pombo qualified as high as P4 in class, and on race day the duo wheeled their Type R to an eighth-place finish.
"Races like this are a bit of a gut punch," says John Whiteman, Commercial Motorsports Manager for Honda Performance Development (HPD). "Our Honda Civic Type R TCR teams demonstrated plenty of speed and were capable of podium results. Unfortunately, a mechanical issue for HART and multiple cut tires for both LA Honda World and Atlanta Speedwerks made for a disappointing end to our day. We'll get together with our teams and suppliers, work hard, and come back stronger at [round 2] Sebring."
The Civic Type R TCR is an exclusively purpose-built for the track by JAS Motorsports. It features the Civic Type R's 2.0L turbocharged inline 4-clyinder engine, global rollcage homologation by MSA-UK, upgraded brakes and track-tuned suspension.
The Civic Type R TCR is available now to order from HPD to amateur racers and professional drivers alike. It's priced at $172,238 and that does not include shipping, additional or optional spares. For more information, check out this link for a complete online catalog of performance parts.
For the full 2020 IMSA Series Schedule: https://www.imsa.com/.
Honda Civic Type R TCR Engine
- Turbocharged 4-cylinder in line, transversally installed
- Dual overhead camshafts, 16 valves
- Displacement: 1998.2 cc Bore x stroke: 86mm x 86mm
- Max. output: 340 hp at 6200 rpm
- Max. torque: 420 nm at 3800 rpm CONVERT
- Lubrication: Wet sump
Honda Civic Type R TCR Transmission
- Front-wheel drive
- Gearbox: Xtrac 6-speed sequential with paddle shift
- Clutch: JAS-twin-disc sinter-metallic
- Differential: Mechanical limited slip
Honda Civic Type R TCR Chassis
- Front suspension: Ohlins MacPherson strut, coil springs, gas-filled dampers, anti-roll bar
- Rear suspension: Ohlins multi-link axle, coil springs, gas-filled dampers, anti-roll bar
- Steering: electrical power assisted rack and pinion
Honda Civic Type R TCR Brakes
- Dual circuit hydraulic system
- Front brakes: 6-piston calipers, 380mm steel ventilated discs
- Rear brakes: 2-piston calipers, 260mm steel
Honda Civic Type R TCR Exhaust
- 3-inch stainless steel 310
Honda Civic Type R TCR Wheels
- 18x10inch O.Z. Racing
Honda Civic Type R TCR Internal Equipment
- OMP composite HTE seat, automatic extinguisher Roll Cage
- MSA-certified welded cage with lifting devices
Honda Civic Type R TCR Dimensions
- Length: 4549mm
- Width: 1950mm
- Wheelbase: 2700mm
- Minimum weight 1256 kg including the driver CONVERT