Four cylinders driving four wheels definitely equaled VIII, especially during the 2006 Evo Tuner ShootOut held at Carolina Motorsports Park July 8th & 9th, 2006. The event was hosted by SPT Events and sponsored by EvolutionM.Net (BoostLabs LLC) & Seat Time.
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolutions—a.k.a. Evolution VIIIs—swooshed onto the 2.235-mile, 14-turn road course during a weekend of high performance driving and timed competition events. The sounds of chirping blow-offs, snarling exhausts, squawking tires, and whistling metallic brake pads invaded the air of the lazy South Carolina countryside.
When cruising a favorite automotive internet message forum, you're bound to come across somebody boasting about how fast their car is. Well…talk is cheap,and the Evo Tuner ShootOut was the place to ante up. Both professional and shade-tree Evo gun-slingers ready to "put up or shut up" were split into "Street" or "Unlimited" competition classes. The breakdown was as follows:
• Must be currently registered for street use and haveDOT approved tires with a tread wear of 100 or greater
• 255 max tire width
• Vehicles must have original glass. Lexan windows not permitted
• Must have full exhaust with muffler. Cutouts must remain closed
• Must retain full interior
• Use of non-oem doors is not permitted
• Must run unleaded gas
• Max WHP of 400
• May use any DOT approved tire
• Must retain unibody. No tube frame vehicles permitted
Competitors in each class used the track's transponders to record the quickest time. A cash purse was awarded to event winners. In addition, the fastest competitor running the Nitto Spec NT-01 tire in both the "Unlimited" and "Street" classes was awarded a supplemental cash purse. Bragging rights? Priceless.