After two years of fighting and playing our best, we've decided that this is our year to finally win a Castrol Syntec Top Car Challenge. While we've certainly brought our strongest efforts to the table before - Bisimoto's underdog F22 single cam (that truly did win if you calculate it the proper way: http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/1231/castrol-top-shop-challenge-results.aspx ) and Cheston Chiu's Z33 track terror - they just weren't enough to top AMS Performance and the sheer power of the 4G63. Now that we've recalled our extensive mental notes (from what few brain cells we operate off of) and learned our lessons from the first two outings, we're entering the arena this year with confidence and a very capable fighter.
So what are we looking for in this year's car? Well, it all comes down to finding a car that is tuned to be the best all-around performer, but we saw that the biggest factors came down to who mastered the track tests the best, and that includes acceleration, braking, 1/4 mile time/trap speed and of course, the ever-important lap times. There wasn't a single car that didn't satisfy the emissions testing - but the endurance is a whole different subject for one mag. So as you can probably guess, every car will be tested in all of those subjects just mentioned, but also including the car's horsepower, power-to-weight and cost. Most of all, we're really gunning for a true street car to do the job - after all, this is a competition to see which car comes out on top, right?
We'll be facing off shortly once again at the Buttonwillow Raceway against our other popular Source Interlink titles, including Modified, Import Tuner, eurotuner, Honda Tuning and 5.0 Mustang - and really, it's anybody's game. Could it be a threepeat victory for Modified? Not if we can help it. To find out more about the Castrol Syntec Top Car Challenge and a chance to win $10K, visit www.SyntecTopCarChallenge.com today. While you're there, make sure to vote for Super Street (that's us) as your team of choice; these votes count this time and we're gonna kill it like we did last year!
Castrol Syntec Top Car Challenge: The Tests
• Lap Times: Teams compete for the single fastest lap time during a 20-minute session on the road course.
• 1/4 Mile Time: Cars compete for quickest ending times, the best out of 3 runs.
• 1/4 Mile Trap Speed: Cars compete for the fastest trap speed, best of 3 runs.
• Horsepower: Using a dyno, cars will be tested to find who has the highest peak horsepower. Teams will be limited to 3 runs.
• Power-to-Weight: Cars will be weighed at the dyno to calculate who has the best power-to-weight ratio.
• Emissions: Vehicles will be tested with a 5 gas automobile emissions analyzer. Pass that sniff test!
• Acceleration: 0-60mph using a radar gun.
• Braking: 80mph-0 using a radar gun.
• Endurance: Cars will have to test out their endurance in Los Angeles' concrete jungle by driving to the track during the middle of rushhour traffic - and trust us, the 405 is a bitch.
• Vehicle Cost: Scores will be based on the current used car value.
Log On and Enter to Win $10K! www.SyntecTopCarChallenge.com]