The elusive 10-minute mark kept its trend of disappointment alive at the 2010 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb. The two drivers on the verge had different but equally frustrating drives into the clouds.
Things went awry for Rhys Millen before the green flag dropped. "The transponder wouldn't work, so they were (having me go) backwards and forwards, backwards and forwards, and they had to pull the whole car apart to put a transponder on there." On the run Rhys related, "our shift mechanism doesn't like to shift at a high RPM and I was pushing the car harder than I had. It went into a neutral mode off the second corner. I literally had to come to a stop and restart again. That kind of frustrated me a bit. I spun shortly after that, and then we lost the brakes at the W's. So I just had to be really gingerly just to get it up here in one piece." Rhys' time was 11:06. This was the car's first time in action and the Red Bull team is a few gremlins away from really challenging the 10-minute barrier. Look out in 2011.
Nobuhiro 'Monster' Tajima power shifted his 2010 Moster Sport Suzuki SX4 Hill Climb Special to the overall victory in 10:11.490. Monster has dominated the Race To The Clouds winning the prestigeous event five consecutive years. The car was a carryover of the 2009 winner with some aero tweaks and an addition 25 ponies from its 3.1-liter twin-turbo V6 now rated at 905 horsepower.
It was also great to see cars from the scene, namely the Lancer Evolution and Subaru WRX STI far well up the hill.
1. Nobuhiro Tajima, Suzuki 10:11.490
2. Paul Dallenbach, Chevy 10:39.534
3. Rhys Millen, Hyundai 11:06.208
1. Spencer Steele, Wells Coyote 10:53.107
2. Jimmy Keeney, Chevy 10:53.679
3. Jimmy Olson, Wells Coyote 11:36.766
1. Dave Carapetyan, Mitsubishi Evolution 11:34.017
2. Randy Schranz, Shelby Cobra 11:57.098
3. Brad Lovell, Ford Ranger Pro-Light 13:17.323
Time-Attack Division AWD
1. Jeff Denmeade, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 11:53.212
2. Karl Scheible, Subaru STI 11:54.989
3. Dave Kern, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 12:55.418
Time-Attack Division 2WD
1. Jeff Zwart, Porsche 11:31.095
2. Ken Stouffer, Nissan 240SX 13:19.056
3. Savannah Rickli, Mini Cooper S 13:58.232