Long Beach, Calif. – April 10, 2011 – Justin Pawlak in the Falken Tire Ford Mustang earns the victory at the first event of the 2011 Formula DRIFT season. Matt Powers in the Need for Speed Nissan S14 takes second place with Daijiro Yoshihara in the Discount Tire / Falken Nissan S13 rounding out the podium in third place.
Round 1: Streets of Long Beach provided fans with action and excitement through the weekend. The debut of new vehicles and new drivers added to the anticipation for the new season. The Driftstream brought live coverage to fans watching at home.
“With any new season comes change, so seeing fresh faces to the podium is a part of that," says Jim Liaw, president and co-founder of Formula DRIFT. “The level of driving skill continues to elevate. It is a sign that the 2011 season will be as competitive as ever. I would not be surprised to see more upsets and new faces to the podium."
Justin Pawlak finds the top of the podium for the very first time in his career. Pawlak remained consistent through the rounds advancing to the Finals against Matt Powers. His consistency paid off and Pawlak was able to secure the victory. The consolation round pitted Daijiro Yoshihara in the Discount Tire / Falken Tire Nissan S13 against 2009 Formula DRIFT champion, Chris Forsberg in the NOS Energy Drink Nissan 370Z.
“I owe it all to the guys at ASD and Falken Tire for this victory. Without them this could not have been possible,” said Justin Pawlak, winner of Round 1: Streets of Long Beach. “This victory feels unreal. I have worked so hard for this and can’t believe I’m on top to start out the season.”
The 2011 Pro Championship season continues for Round 2: Road to the Championship at Road Atlanta on May 6-7. Tickets are available to purchase online now.
For more information visit: www.formuladrift.com
Formula DRIFT Professional Championship 2011 Point Standings after 1 Round
1. Pawlak, Justin Falken Tire Ford Mustang 102 Points
2. Powers, Matt Need for Speed Nissan S14 94 Points
3. Yoshihara, Daijiro Discount Tire / Falken Tire Nissan S13 88 Points
4. Forsberg, Chris NOS Energy Drink / Hankook Tire Nissan 370Z 70 Points
5. Mohan, Kyle Nexen Tire / Mazdatrix Mazda RX-8 69 Points
6. Grunewald, Conrad Hankook Tire Chevy Camaro 66 Points
7. Millen, Rhys RMR / Red Bull Hyundai Genesis Coupe 65 Points
8. Tuerck, Ryan Gardella Racing / Mobil 1 Pontiac Solstice 63 Points
9. Aasbo, Fredric Need for Speed / Hankook Scion TC 61.50 Points
10. McNamara, Darren Falken Tire Pontiac Saturn Sky 58 Points
11. McQuarrie, Tyler Falken Tire Nissan 350Z 57 Points
11. Wilkerson, Walker Intec Racing Nissan 240 57 Points
13. Field, Matt Fatlace Nissan 240SX 56 Points
14. Petty, Ross Garage Boso / Falken Tire Nissan Silvia S15 55 Points
14. Waldin, Matt Helix Energy Drink Nissan 350Z 55 Points
16. Mertzanis, Dennis Mertzanis Racing Nissan 240SX 54.50 Points
Round 1: Streets of Long Beach Event Results
1. Pawlak, Justin Falken Tire Ford Mustang 1st Place
2. Powers, Matt Need for Speed Nissan S14 2nd Place
3. Yoshihara, Daijiro Discount Tire / Falken Tire Nissan S13 3rd Place