This section of the mag is one of our favs, where we get to see what you drive day in and day out. We know all of you can’t afford or have the time to build a crazy feature car, but that doesn’t mean we still don’t have love for you. But let’s be honest, it still surprises us that we’ve been doing Readers’ Rides for years and more than half of you don’t know how to take a proper photo of your car. Now, we’re not expecting you to do some fancy Matty Icey shit with a $3,000 digital full-frame camera, but it’s not rocket science to take a good photo that highlights your car with today’s simple point-and-shoot cameras. All it takes is some careful positioning and common sense—which we’ll gladly show you with the help of online editor, Jofel Tolosa and his Scion FR-S.
- Mind your shadows. Car should be fully lit.
- Wheel is turned the wrong way. The best angle to shoot your car is a front 3⁄4 that shows the front and side of the car with the wheel turned towards the camera.
- Location is busy. Don’t shoot in a busy parking lot and watch out for other distractions.
- Twerking friend needs to go. Sorry, Jonathan!
- Straight-on front angle doesn’t display enough of the car.
- Junk hanging from the rear view mirror is annoying.
- Still haven’t found a good location with those parked cars in the background.
- Unless you know what you’re doing by adjusting the ISO or setting your cam up on a tripod, don’t shoot at night or in a garage.
- Nope, still don’t want to see you, Jonathan.
- Getting better with this photo but again, check your angle and shoot the front 3⁄4.
- Watch out for that sun! Jofel’s lined up with the sun just in front of him putting a mean glare and shadow on the car.
- Hey dumb truck, look out for that truck!
- If you want to send us an engine or interior shot, make sure it’s lit properly without stuff or junk in the photo.
- Helmet and cleaning supplies, no go!
Here’s the money shot. Front 3⁄4 angle, check! Wheel turned towards camera, check! Background is clear of distractions, check! Sun is directly behind Jofel lighting up the entire car nicely, check!
We should note the magic hour for shooting the car is during sunset or sunrise but we’re only trying to help you shoot a good, clean photo for Readers’ Rides. And yes, we know Jofel is using a phone here. His iPhone5 as well as phones like a Galaxy4 have good enough cameras, but that doesn’t mean every phone works. We still prefer to see high quality shots from a proper camera.
How to Submit
Once you have your killer photos, e-mail them in high resolution (if it’s under one megabyte we’ll sign you up for junk mail) to email@example.com. And remember to include your contact information. We’ve created a template using Jofel and his ride so you can’t mess up!
- Full Name: Jofel Tolosa
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 555-325-2634
- Vehicle (Make, Model, Year): 2013 Scion FR-S
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Mods Done: HKS Premium Suction kit; HSD coilovers; 18x9" Avant Garde M220 wheels; GT Radial tires
And finally…to this month’s top readers’ rides!
Alfonso (Jun) Navos
Ride 1986 Toyota Levin
Location Federal Way, CA
Mods Done 4AGE with A’PEXi intake; NGK wires and plugs; TRD headers and limited-slip; KYB shocks; HKS springs; Cusco six-point rollcage, front strut bar, camber kits and LCAs; Techno Toy Tuning tension rods; Project Mu front rotors; Endless pads; 15x6" SSR Mark 1 wheels; Federal tires; J Blood body kit, fenders and hood; Bride Zeta Series driver and Digo Series passenger seats; Nardo Classic steering wheel; Blitz gauges
Why We Like It Because it’s sick…And because it’s a legit right-hand drive Levin imported from Japan.
Ride 2004 Subaru STI
Location Westford, VT
Mods Done Carrillo Pro-H rods and 9:1 pistons; Darton sleeved and O’ringed; GSC Special 282/282° drag cams; Headgames built cylinder head with Ferrea internals; Bosch 2000cc EV14 injectors; twin Bosch 044 fuel pumps; DeatschWerks 300lph surge pump; twin TiAL 38mm V-band wastegates; PTE 6466 turbo; Exedy HD twin-disc clutch; AEM EMS Series 2; front-mount intercooler; Aquamist water/meth injection; The Brake Man drag brakes
Why We Like It Built to bust heads, this STI’s packin’ some heat!
Ride 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Location Toronto, Canada
Mods Done OBX headers; 3" exhaust with Vibrant muffler; AEM intake and wideband; RPW stage 2 cam and adjustable cam gear; ECU reflash; ACT stage 1 clutch; Clutchmasters flywheel; Megan Racing radiator; Mishimoto slim fans; BC Racing coilovers; RRM rear strut bar; slotted and drilled rotors; JDM headlights; carbon-fiber hood and rear spoiler
Why We Like It Might not be a true Evo, but Nick has spent lots of time and money getting his Ralliart to where it is today!
Ride 2010 VW CC R-Line
Location Sacramento, CA
Mods Done 19x9" Bentley wheels; Solo Werks coilovers; APR Carbonio intake; custom exhaust; chrome accents painted black
Why We Like It VW owner who reads Super Street every month? We had to!
Ride 2007 Mazdaspeed3
Location Bridgeview, IL
Mods Done CPE downpipe and fuel pump; Cobb Tuning intake, inlet pipe, bypass valve, Access Port and lowering springs; Corksport motor mount; E85 tune; TWM shifter bushings; Bilstein shocks; 18" RAYS wheels powdercoated charcoal; Bridgestone tires; removed side moldings; carbon front bumper accents; JL Audio speakers, amplifier and sub; LCD monitors; Pro Sport boost gauge
Why We Like It Rick keepin’ his Mazdaspeed3 super clean with minimal parts while pushin’ 300+hp.