Although our latest BMW 135i Photochop Challenge has yet to be judged, we thought this opportunity was too good to miss. So we're announcing our fifth challenge ahead of announcing the results from the fourth one.
Why are we doing this? We were approached by Championship-winning BMW race team Turner Motorsport to help with the design of its new color scheme and sponsor livery for its 2008 Grand Am racecars. And although the season starts on January 25 at Daytona, the first race for this car is on May 26 at Lime Rock, so there isn't much time to get your designs turned into reality.
Printed on this page and available online to download at www.eurotuner.com are line drawings of a BMW E90 3-Series sedan. This is the car that Turner Motorsport will be using to defend its champion title in 2008. Your designs need to be adorned in an eye-catching color scheme, but must also carry the crucial sponsor logos.
To give you an idea of what we're looking for, we've included an example of the color scheme for the team's 2007 E46 M3 racecars. As you'll notice, blue and yellow dominates the car, and we'd recommend you continue this scheme, although variations are welcomed.
For your reference, we've included Pantone, RGB and CYMK color references for the blue and yellow used on the cars.You can also scan the sponsor logos from this page or download them from our website. We'd recommend you stick to their chosen colors and typefaces to maintain their corporate identities.
In case you've never attempted to create a racecar livery before, perhaps the most important aspect is that the design be simple and legible. Remember, it's going to be seen at 100mph or more, so needs to stand out from its competitors.
Keep the colors simple and the logos clear, but don't feel restricted by trying to replicate exactly what they had in 2007 - although keeping close to it would be advisable for the sake of continuity.
Turner Motorsport has generously offered a $1000 spending spree for the chosen winner at www.turnermotorsport.com As the nation's leading BMW race team and tuning specialists, there's a wealth of parts for the BMW enthusiast. But if you'd prefer to take the money, they're offering a cash alternative of $500 if you don't have a BMW.But that's not all. If you get yourself along to one of the Grand Am races around the country, you and a companion will be the guests of Turner Motorsport on race day. You'll get paddock access to the cars as the team prepares them for the race, and will then join the TMS crew on pitlane to see the race unfold. They'll even throw in some team clothing and a free lunch.
Details of the race you attend must be pre-arranged with the team and is only valid during 2008. You must also be over 18 to qualify for the first prize, but we guarantee you'll have an incredible experience if you're able to participate in this opportunity.
What to do
Remember, this is a challenge, and it's just for fun. While there is a prize for first place, we'll show all your entries at www.eurotuner.com and a selection of the best in a future issue of the magazine. In order to qualify, you must get your entries to us by 4/1/08 - that gives you about six weeks after this issue goes on sale to create something sensational.
You can email your entries directly to email@example.com but please ensure your images are a minimum of 500Kb at 300dpi, or we won't be able to print them. However, they can't be too big either, or they jam our email system. So they shouldn't be more than 2Mb files. If they exceed this limit, please copy them to a CD and mail it to us at TMS Photochop, eurotuner magazine, 6420 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90048.
One word of warning; some email servers (such as Hotmail) sometimes automatically compress attachments. So please check the size of your image won't be reduced when you send it to us. You could try emailing it to yourself or a friend beforehand to verify.
We also require some extra information along with your photochop image. Please ensure we have your full name, address and phone number. We also need a list of the work you've carried out to the racecar, particularly if you've added new colors, etc.
When emailing us, please put your name as the subject of the email (ie, Andrew Thorn TMS Photochop) as well as the name of your jpeg image (ie, andrewthornTMS.jpg). This will help us identify your image and collate your details when it comes time to select the shortlist and eventual winner.Remember, this Photochop Challenge is just for fun. So you can be a professional or amateur - we don't care. You can even have a go with crayons if your grasp of computer technology leaves something to be desired.
1. No purchase, online entry or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win. A purchase will not improve your chances of winning.
2. Eligibility: contest open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, 18 years of age or older as of 2/19/08. Void where prohibited. Employees of sponsors and administrator, and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliated companies, divisions, dealers, and advertising and promotion agencies, and such persons' household, and immediate family members (defined as parent, spouse, child, sibling, or grandparent) are not eligible to enter contest.
3. Timing: contest opens for entries at 12:01am Pacific time (pt) on 2/19/08 and closes for entries at 11:59pm (pt) on 4/1/08.
4. How to enter: entry by mail: supply your address, telephone number, age and email address (if available); and supply us with your entry for the Challenge above. Mail your entry to: "TMS Photochop Challenge," eurotuner, 6420 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90048. Mailed entries must be postmarked by 4/1/08 and received by 4/3/08. Materials submitted become the sole property of the sponsors/administrator and will not be acknowledged or returned. By submitting an entry, entrant warrants and represents that entry is unpublished, truthful in all respects, does not violate any law, or regulation, and does not infringe or violate any third party rights, including but not limited to the rights of copyright, trademark, privacy and publicity. See rule 6 for judging criterion.Entries will also be accepted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the dates noted above and following the guidelines mentioned above.
5. Prize: prize is non-transferable and must be accepted as awarded. In the event that a prize cannot be awarded for any reason, in which case, sponsors/administrator will award a prize of equal or greater value. All federal, State, and local taxes, fees and surcharges on prize are the sole responsibility of winner.
6. Judging: eligible entries will be judged by the staff of eurotuner magazine and Turner Motorsport. Winning is contingent upon fulfilling said requirement in these rules.
7. Notification: on or about 4/15/08, the potential winner will be contacted by mail, and within ten (10) days of postmark, potential winner(s) correctly complete and execute the following documents, and then return them (as directed) via overnight delivery (additional documents may be required at discretion of sponsors/administrator): for winner(s): an affidavit of eligibility, liability release, and where lawful, a publicity release. Failure to comply with the above-mentioned reply deadline (or the return of a prize notification as non-deliverable) may result in disqualification and in the forfeiture of any right to the prize, in which case, the prize will be awarded to the next runner-up.
8. Release: by participating in this contest and/or accepting a prize, a participant/winner agrees that the sponsors/administrator, their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, and all of the sponsor's/administrator's officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents, will have no liability whatsoever for, and will be held harmless by participant/winner for any liability for any injury, loss or damages of any kind to persons, including death, and property, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of a prize or participation in this contest or participation in any contest or prize-related activity. By participating in this contest and/or accepting a prize, a participant/winner consents to and gives the sponsors/administrator, the right in perpetuity to use winner's/participant's name, picture/portrait, likeness, voice, statements, submitted descriptive information (in whole or in part, as may be adapted, edited, or modified, as solely determined by sponsors/administrator) for advertising, trade, publicity and promotional purposes in any media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide, and on the world wide web, without review, notification or approval, all without additional consideration, unless prohibited by law. Sponsors/administrator shall have the right to use, assign, edit, modify or dispose of the entry however they see fit without the approval of participant/winner. And by entering, the entrant agrees that all rights, title, and interest that an entrant and/or winner now has or may in the future have in his/her entry is unconditionally assigned and transferred to sponsors/administrator.
9. Errors: sponsors/administrator are not responsible for lost, late, Illegible, damaged, incomplete, stolen, postage due or misdirected entries, typographical or other human or technical errors in the offer or administration of this contest, including but no limited to errors in advertising, the official rules, the selection and announcement of the winners or the distribution of the prize. Sponsors/administrator reserve the right to modify these rules for clarification purposes without materially affecting the terms and conditions of the contest. In the event that the contest is challenged by any legal or regulatory authority, sponsors/administrator reserve the right to discontinue or modify the contest, or to disqualify participants residing in the affected geographic areas. In such event, sponsors/ administrator shall have no liability to any entrants who are disqualified due to such an action.
10. Laws: subject to all federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
11. Winner list: a winners list will be available from about 4/15/08 to 5/26/08 at:www.eurotuner.com or by sending a SASE to: "TMS Photochop Challenge" contest winner list, eurotuner, 6420 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90048
12. Sponsor: Turner Motorsport
13. Administrator: eurotuner magazine, 6420 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90048
Blue Pantone 301
R=0, G=101, B=164
C=100, M=45, Y=0, K=18
Yellow Pantone 109
R=255, G=222, B=0C=0, M=10, Y=100, K=0