The AWE Tuning in-house Mk6 GTI broke new ground again at NHRA Certified Cecil County Dragway with an 11.87 second ¼ mile. This time is the fastest quarter mile time to date for a TSI K04 powered vehicle, outright. A separate run produced a 120mph trap speed, which also makes this car the fastest top speed in the quarter mile, on record, in it’s class.
“The previous record holder is a purpose built race car. We wanted to show the world that you don’t have to up your “stage” (and budget) to have the fastest car. Our AWE Tuning daily driver can take on cars that you can’t also drive to work.” states a smiling Director of Engineering, Chris Dollery.
The AWE Tuning Mk6 GTI, which has been a commuter for select members of the AWE Tuning staff (and has even donned a car seat at times), ran with off the shelf G.I.A.C. software, and no prototype parts or engine modifications.
The Mk6 Build List
The build list on the in-house AWE Tuning daily driver is as follows:
- AWE Tuning TSI K04 Turbo Kit with G.I.A.C. Software
- AWE Tuning Turboback Exhaust System with Diamond Black Oval Tips
- AWE Tuning C|C|B (Cold Cone Box) Intake System
- AWE Tuning TSI Turbo Outlet Pipe
- AWE Tuning TSI S3 FMIC Intercooler Kit
- AWE Tuning Mk6 TSI Vent Mounted Boost Gauge Kit
- AWE Tuning TSI Boost Hose
- AWE Tuning/H&R 28mm Adjustable “Time Attack” Rear Swaybar
- AWE Tuning Sport Pedal Set
- Bilstein PSS-10 Coilovers
- StopTech 328mm Big Brake Kit
- Enkei RPF1 17x7.5 front wheels with Hoosier 225/45-17 drag radials (35 lb each side)
- 16x6.5 steel rear wheels with 225/55-16 all-season tires (38 lb each side)
For this pass, AWE Tuning ran VP109 race fuel and removed the passenger seat and rear seat, the spare tire and the floor mats, standard practice for the drag strip.
The car weighed in at 2825 lbs without the driver and 3032 with the driver. The official ¼ mile drag strip times can be found on VWVortex. Positions two through four are held by Stage 3 kits.
“We operate at the intersection of extreme power and complete practicality. This new record demonstrates that,” remarked Jesse Kramer, AWE Tuning’s VP of Marketing.
Software and Options
File wise, the original, exclusive AWE Tuning "Road Race" file is recommended for anyone that does road course track driving in high heat environments. For the Road Race file, there is one file, both for 91 and 93 octane. This file recorded impressive results this summer in 100 degree testing. The updated file that was used (dubbed “High Output”) provides additional mid-range boost, while high rpm boost, ignition and air/fuel remain the same. The file is still well within the BorgWarner compressor map. Two versions of the G.I.A.C. High Output file are available, one for 91 octane and one for 93 octane.
Watch the video