While the BMW-owned Mini has been around for many years and helped to revive the motor manufacturing industry in the British Midlands, its Oxford assembly plant pre-dates most other buildings of its type, continually producing cars for 100 years but switching to war production in the 1940s.
Founded by William Morris in 1913 to build his Morris Oxford, he owned the factory until 1952 when Morris Motors merged with rival Austin to form the British Motor Company. BMC went through several name changes and mergers with Rover, Land Rover, MG and Triumph before morphing into British Leyland.
That company would later be renamed as Rover, before it was bought by BMW. Land Rover and Jaguar would be sold to Ford, MG eventually went to the Chinese and BMW kept Mini. It was a rather sordid affair that left a bad taste for many but rising from the ashes as some very strong carmakers thanks to the revival of Mini, Jaguar and Land Rover into world class companies under their new ownership.
After a century of production, Mini Oxford has some impressive numbers. It has manufactured more than 11.65 million cars since 1913, including 2.25 million Minis.
Since its inception in 1913, the factory has also produced cars for Austin Healey, Triumph, MG, Mini, Rover, Vanden Plas and many more. The first car ever produced was the Bullnose Morris Oxford, which debuted on March 28, 1913.
Here's a list of some of the cars produced that made a significant impact:
'Bullnose' Morris Oxford 1913-26: First production car to leave the plant became known as the Bullnose because of its signature rounded radiator cowling. By 1924 Morris became Britain's best-selling marque.