We’ve spelled it out here thousands of times but it bears constant repetition for anybody new to the scene and considering their first modification. Before you upgrade your headlight bulbs, we highly recommend you get the car’s handling right. This is particularly true if you’re buying an older car. The stock springs and dampers are probably past their prime. So why not replace with aftermarket parts and enjoy the benefits of tighter, stiffer suspension?
And even if your car isn’t past its best, sports suspension is often the cheapest tuning you will ever do. In a previous test in et 3/05 we managed to improve our lap times by more than 5.5sec by simply changing suspension and tires. Try doing that with engine tuning alone!
Of course, a coilover kit such as H&R’s Street Performance kit we’re giving away to a lucky reader doesn’t only improve handling. It’s also one of the most important styling alterations you’ll make – lowering it will instantly give the vehicle more attitude. And although it’s lower, we’ve found that the H&R kit doesn’t adversely affect the ride quality. There’s enough compliance in the springs and dampers to ensure you don’t need back surgery after a short journey.
Each H&R coilover kit is developed for a specific vehicle, using custom-valved shocks to ensure the correct handling characteristics. The fully-threaded shock bodies allow the ride height to be adjusted between 1-2.5” on average. This will ensure it looks right, but individual adjustment means you can also corner-balance the vehicle to ensure the correct weight balance.
But the contact patch between your tires and the road also dictates grip, so we decided to throw in a set of the latest Continental ExtremeContact DW tires as well. You may recall the DW won our tire test in the last issue (et 12/09) by offering the best combination of wet and dry performance. In fact, they scored the best time for the dry and wet laps, the best wet g-force numbers and were the best overall in the wet. So this asymmetric rubber is anything but run of the mill.
The DW name refers to their wet and dry abilities, meaning they’ll cope with almost any condition except deep snow, which is where the Conti DWS tire is needed. However, we’re confident these tires will be the very best for the majority of conditions you’ll encounter. What’s more, Continental’s European technology and construction techniques have ensured improved ride comfort as well as good gas mileage with low rolling resistance. So you can see why we were happy to recommend the Conti DW tires alongside the H&R Street Performance coilovers for our ultimate handling package.
To win these products for your car, tell us in 100 words or less, which is your favorite cover car from eurotuner’s 2009 issues. Regular readers shouldn’t have any trouble, but we’ll put the covers online at eurotuner.com so everybody can refer to them.
One (1) grand prize winner will win a set of four Continental ExtremeContact DW tires and H&R Street Performance coilovers for the car of their choice, so please list the make, model and year of your vehicle with your entry.
In the instance where your tire size is not available in the DW range, a similar tire will be substituted by Continental. If an H&R Street Performance kit is not available for your car, a suitable suspension kit will be substituted by H&R. In both cases, the substituted parts may be of lesser value than the prize being offered.
eurotuner “Ultimate Handling” Contest Rules
1. Introduction: eurotuner (a publication of Source Interlink Magazines, LLC), Continental Tire and H&R Springs ("Sponsors") are offering the Contest ("Contest"). NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. Eligibility: Entrant must be 18 years or older as of December 15, 2009 and a resident of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia. Employees of Sponsors, the Sponsors’ parents, subsidiaries, affiliated companies, and agents and the immediate family (defined as parents, spouse, children, siblings, grandparents) of each such employees, and all those with whom such employees are domiciled, are NOT eligible.
3. Timing: Contest begins December 15, 2009 and ends February 15, 2010.
4. Enter by telling us in 100 words or less which is your favorite cover car from eurotuner’s 2009 issues, please also list the make, model and year of your vehicle for the prize (if chosen as the grand prize winner). Send your entry to eurotuner, c/o U Contest, 831 S. Douglas Street, El Segundo, CA 90245 or email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Ultimate Handling” in the subject line. Entries must be received by February 15, 2010. Multiple entries are not permitted. No more than one entry per envelope can be submitted. Sponsors shall not be responsible for lost, late, mutilated or misdirected entries. Entry forms or requests that are printed by machine, mechanically reproduced, tampered with, illegible or incomplete are not eligible.
5. Prize winners will be selected by originality. The contest will take place under the supervision of Sponsors. Participants agree to be bound by these rules and the decision of the judges, whose decisions are final. The winners will be notified by mail and/or e-mail on or about March 1, 2010. To obtain a list of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope, after March 1, 2010 to eurotuner, c/o Corner Like a Pro Contest, 831 S. Douglas Street, El Segundo, CA 90245.
6. One (1) grand prize winner will win a set of four Continental ExtremeContact DW tires (MSRP $1,120) and H&R Street Performance Coilovers (MSRP $1,580.00) for the car of their choice.
Total Value of All Prizes: $2,700.00. Sponsors make no warranties with regard to the prizes. Prizes are not transferable. No substitutions of prize allowed by winner, but Sponsors reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value due to prize unavailability. Prizes are not redeemable by winner for cash value. All taxes, fees and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of winner.
7. All entries and requests become the property of Sponsors and will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsors will have the right to photograph the winner. Entry constitutes permission to use the winner’s name, picture, likeness and city and state of residence for purposes of trade, publicity or promotion for no additional compensation except where prohibited by law. All entries must be original, may not have won previous prizes and must not infringe on any third party rights. Submission of an entry constitutes entrant’s consent (or that of their parent/legal guardian should they be a minor in their state of residence) to irrevocably assign to Sponsors any and all rights to their entry including, but not limited to, intellectual property rights. Submission of an entry grants Sponsors and their agents the right to publish, produce, use, adapt, edit and/or modify the entry in any way and in any and all media, without limitation and without compensation to the entrant.
8. The winner (or their parent/legal guardian should they be a minor in their state of residence) will be required to execute an Affidavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release and where lawful, a Publicity Release. All taxes on prizes are solely the responsibility of the winners.
9. All entrants release Sponsors, their affiliates, parents, subsidiaries, directors, officers, employees, and agents, and all others associated with the development and execution of this from any and all liability from injury, loss or damage of any kind resulting from participation in this promotion or acceptance or use of any prize.
10. Failure to execute and return any requested document within fourteen (14) days of postmark, or return of notification or prize as undeliverable may result in forfeiture of prize and an alternate winner will be selected.
11. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
12. The Sponsors of this Contest are: eurotuner (a publication of Source Interlink Magazines, LLC), Continental Tire and H&R Springs.