Ford is working with Best Buy to offer a 240-volt home charging station for the company's new Ford Focus Electric battery electric vehicle and future electric vehicles (although it can also be charged by the supplied 110v cable - see our separate story at eurotuner.com).
Best Buy intends to sell the charging station and offer complete consultation and installation services through its Geek Squad subsidiary and third-party licensed electrical contractors.
After purchasing the electric vehicle, Focus Electric owners can work with their dealer to set up an installation appointment through Best Buy. Focus Electric charging stations can also be purchased through any of Best Buy's nearly 1200 stores nationwide or online at www.bestbuy.com.
During the appointment, a Geek Squad agent will conduct a quick electrical audit to ensure the residence can support the 240-volt charging station. Once the residence passes the electrical audit, the Geek Squad agent will schedule a master electrician for a hassle-free charging station installation.
This collaboration builds on an already established relationship. The two companies have been working to help consumers understand and utilize the industry-leading SYNC in-car communications system. Through Best Buy Mobile, the retailer will offer specially trained associates to assist with Ford SYNC education, training and phone compatibility tests to ensure consumers are maximizing the SYNC experience.
The Ford Focus Electric charging station can be easily installed, replaced or upgraded without the use of tools due to its innovative design and mounting bracket. The 240-volt home charging station will allow Focus Electric owners to fully charge their cars in as little as 3-4 hours - charging in half the time as the Nissan Leaf.
- Designed and produced to be compact and easy to install, the Ford charging station offers Focus Electric owners multiple advantages over competitive systems:
- Semi-permanent installation: The charging unit plugs into a 240-volt outlet instead of being hard-wired into the electrical breaker box, making removal and replacement a simple plug-in operation if the owner moves
- Single point of contact will sell, deliver, install and service the home charging station, including contracting any additional home electrical needs for 240-volt service. Best Buy also will handle warranty and repair claims for the charging station
- Based on current plans, the home charging station with standard installation is expected to retail for approximately $1499, as much as 30 percent less than competitor systems
- With its maximum 32-amp charging capability, Focus Electric owners with the 240-volt home charging station can get a full charge in as little as 3-4 hours - half the time of the Nissan Leaf
When the connector is plugged in to the vehicle's charge port, between the driver's door and front wheel well, it activates a light ring around the port. The light ring then illuminates in quadrants as the vehicle charges. Flashing quadrants represent charge in progress and solid-lit quadrants show stages of charge completion. When the entire ring is solidly lit, the vehicle is fully charged.