Exactly 85 years ago, the first Škoda to wear the famous winged arrow logo – a luxurious Škoda Hispano Suiza – rolled off the assembly line in Mladá Boleslav. It was delivered to the president of Czechoslovakia, Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk. During the three years of production (until 1929), only 100 units of the luxury sedan were built.
The industrial manufacturer from Pilsen had bought the license to produce the vehicles from the Spanish Hispano-Suiza company in 1924 – one year prior to the merger with the automobile factory of Laurin & Klement.
Production of the vehicle commenced in the spring of 1925 but wasn’t completed until May of 1926. The design had been penned by the leading coachbuilders at the time, Messrs Brožík & Jech, and later by Messrs Laurin & Klement.
Every single Škoda Hispano Suiza 25/100 PS was custom-built to individual customer requirements, meaning no two cars were the same. Weighing 2700kg (5950 lb), the car was able to reach a top speed of 86mph. It was considerably more expensive than other vehicles on the market.
Established in 1895 as Laurin & Klement, Škoda started life as a bicycle manufacturer. In 1905, the company launched its first car, the Voiturette A.