After five years of our no-holds-barred Tuner Shootout event, we’ve decided it’s time to mix things up a little. Just like in previous years, the Shootout is being held in the Phoenix, AZ area, with UMS Tuning hosting the dyno competition (March 30th, 2012) and NASA AZ hosting all the on-track action at Firebird Raceway (March 31st, 2012). The Shootout is also still going to feature an autocross, a time attack, and a drag race, along with a power test on the dyno.
But to put a new twist on the event, the 2012 Shootout will cater to street driven yet still highly tuned vehicles, rather than the all-out race cars that have dominated the event in years past. This means the entrants this year will be cars with full OEM glass, OEM fuel tanks, and OEM lighting (headlights, turn signals, and taillights), full interiors from the front seats forward (aftermarket seats and harnesses permitted), and a full exhaust system (no cut-outs or bypasses) including a functional catalytic converter and muffler.
To measure what we consider two of the most important aspects of any street driven tuner car, we’ve added an emissions component (using a tailpipe sniffer) and an exhaust sound level component (using a dB meter) to the dyno competition. As a result, the winner of the dyno competition may not be the team with the most powerful engine, but rather the team with the best combination of power, low emissions and legal exhaust dB.
Once again Continental Tire is the title sponsor, and given that this year’s event is meant for street driven cars, we’ll be requiring all teams to compete on Continental street tires (most likely their Extreme Contact DW, which come in a wide range of sizes).
There will be four events that will judge the performance of your car. Dyno (25 points) + emissions (10 points), Drag (75 points), Autocross (100 points) and Time Attack (100 points). The car with the highest overall score from these four events will win the overall championship. Trophies will also be awarded to the highest scoring FWD, RWD, and AWD cars.
• Your car must be equipped with:
- OEM windscreen and windows (Lexan or other lightweight glass replacements not permitted).
- OEM fuel tank (fuel cells not permitted) and unleaded or e85 fuel.
- OEM lighting (headlights, turn signals, and taillights must all be functional, as is required on a street legal vehicle).
- A full interior from the front seats forward (aftermarket seats and harnesses permitted. Roll bars and roll cages may be added, but interior trim can only be modified to the extent required to fit these safety items).
- A full exhaust system (no cut-outs or bypasses permitted), including a functional catalytic converter) and muffler.
• You may put any driver you want in your car and there is no requirement for the same driver to pilot the vehicle during the 3 timed events. You can, therefore, opt to have a drag racer do the 1/4-mile runs and then swap in a Time Attack driver for that portion of the event. You may also choose to have different drivers pilot your car during the same event (ie. you can have more than one driver make a pass during the drag runs, but your team will still be limited to 3 passes total).
• You may change the aero, suspension, brake and ECU settings of your vehicle between events in any manner you wish. You can, for example, choose to remove the rear wing for the 1/4-mile runs and put it back on for the Time Attack. Similarly, you can run a high boost map on the dyno and then run a lower boost map for the autocross or time attack events.
• You are permitted to repair your vehicle between events, but you cannot change major mechanical parts between events unless it’s a necessary repair to complete the competition (you can fix stuff that breaks, but we don’t want teams switching turbos, rear ends, or other major mechanical components between events because we feel that places too much stress on the teams).
• Continental will be providing the street tires for this event and you will have to run on one set for the entire event.
If you think you’ve got a car worthy of entry into this event, please send us the following:
- Photos of your vehicle including exterior, interior and engine bay shots
- A list of modifications made to your car
- Why we should pick your vehicle for this competition
Email your submissions to email@example.com
Please be aware that the cost of attending this event is left up to you but we guarantee a good time with some awesome racers and some great exposure in the magazine for all contestants.