It's hard to beat the value and details in the latest Service Manual from Bentley Publishers for normally aspirated Type-993 Porsche 911 models (1995-98).
Published at the end of last year, it boasts a whopping 946 pages with 1523 photos, illustrations and diagrams. It comes with a durable hardcover with full color repair procedures and costs $219.95 (although we've seen it for less online).
We love it. Let us tell you more...
Having owned several Bentley Service Manuals for various European cars over the years (I still have two of my favorite manuals from previous cars on my bookshelf: VW Golf/Rabbit/Sirocco/Jetta 1980-84 and Porsche 911 Carrera 1984-89), we were pleased to see a new manual for the 993 Porsche 911. It was especially well received since I'd recently taken possession of a '95 993 Carrera 2 that occupies one of my precious garage spots.
More importantly, over the past 30 years or so, I've literally saved thousands of dollars fixing my own cars, but wouldn't have been able to do so without the information, procedures, torque specifications, diagrams and more, contained in each Bentley Service Manual.
This new manual is exceedingly comprehensive and it will be a valuable tool for all 993 owners and professional technicians alike. Like all Bentley manuals, it's easy to use and understand.
The manual is divided into ten chapters, including nine repair chapters that are assembled in a similar layout to the factory workshop manuals, making it easy to find what component you need to remove, replace, or troubleshoot.
Here's a summary of chapters and topics:
- Section 0 - General Maintenance: vehicle identi?cation, option codes, technical specifications, general service and maintenance
- Section 1 - Engine: removal and installation, disassembly and assembly, crankshaft, pistons and cylinders, heads, camshafts and lubrication
- Section 2 - Engine management, exhaust, and electrical: fuel supply, injection, exhaust system and ignition
- Section 3 - Clutch and Transmission: clutch and hydraulic system, torque converter, shift linkages, differentials, electrical components. Note: No internal repair is covered for the transmissions.
- Section 4 - Suspension, Brakes and Steering: suspension, axles, bearings, alignment, steering, antilock brake system, calipers, rotors and hydraulic components
- Section 5 - Body: fenders, trunk lid, hood and doors
- Section 6 - Body Components: sunroof, targa top, convertible, bumpers, windows, mirrors and airbags.
- Section 7 - Interior Trim: console, dashboard and seating.
- Section 8 - Heating and A/C: heat exchangers, climate control, filters, motors, ducting, compressor, condenser and more
- Section 9 - Electrics: instruments, lights, fuses, relays, wiring diagrams, OBD1 and OBD2 on-board diagnostics
As we said, this reference book is very comprehensive. We found the procedures well presented, with concise descriptions, color photos and schematic diagrams or illustrations. And the quality of the photos and diagrams allows you to understand a given component or procedure.
No manual is complete without the correct factory tightening sequences and torque specifications, troubleshooting charts and visual inspection sections; this book has it all.
We highly recommend this service manual for all 993 owners. And, for owners without access to the ridiculously expensive factory repair manuals, this book is an absolute steal. In fact, it will pay for itself many times over during your years of 993 ownership.
Other European car Service Manuals available from Bentley Publishers
Audi 100, 200
Audi 4000S, 4000CS and Coupe GT (B2)
Audi 5000, 5000S
Audi A4 (B5)
Audi A4 (B6, B7)
Audi A6 (C5)
BMW 3 Series (E30)
BMW 3 Series (E36)
BMW 5 Series (E28)
BMW 5 Series (E34)
BMW 7 Series (E32)
BMW 7 Series (E38)
Jaguar S-Type 3.4 and 3.8
Jaguar Mk2 2.4, 3.4, 3.8, 240, 340
Jaguar MkX 3.8, 4.2 and 420G
Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 2.8 and 4.2
Jaguar XJ6 and XJ12 Series 3
Jaguar XK120, XK140, XK150, XK150S, MkVII, MkVIII, MkIX
Mercedes-Benz C-Class (W202)
Mini Cooper (R55, R56, R57)
Porsche 911 (Type 996)
Porsche 911 SC
Porsche 911 Carrera
Saab 900 8v
Saab 900 16v
Triumph TR2 and TR3
VW - most models
Price: from $219.95
Prepared, published and distributed by Bentley Publishers (bentleypublishers.com)